Chicken Biryani is prepared with marinated chicken soaked in aromatic herbs, buried under white fine rice, and flavored with saffron and caramelized onions. The recipe of Chicken Biryani is derived from the Royal Mughal kitchen for undernourished soldiers, to provide them a balanced diet. This is done by layering chicken pieces in the bottom and layered with rice and aromatics that are steamed together so that the layered rice absorbs the juices of chicken giving it a good texture and rich flavor.
Chicken: 900 gm
Yogurt : 3 tablespoon
Ginger garlic paste: 2 tablespoon
Kashmiri chilly powder: ½ tablespoon
Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon
Lemon juice: 1 tablespoon
Chopped onion: 2 medium size
Basmati rice: 2 cups
Ghee: 2 tablespoon
Salt: ½ tablespoon
Saffron: a few strands
For Biryani Masala
Bay leaf: 2
Green cardamom : 4 pieces
Cloves: 6 pieces
Cinnamon: 1 inch
Star anise: 1
Shahi jeera: ¾ teaspoon
For garnishing: coriander or mint leaves
Recipe of Chicken Biryani
1. Take slit chicken pieces in a bowl and marinate well with yogurt, ginger garlic paste, biryani masala, chilly powder, turmeric, salt, and lemon juice. Cover this for 1 hour.
2. Add 2 cups of basmati rice to a large pot and soak in water for 30 minutes.
3. Take a heavy bottom pan and heat oil and use whole spices and chopped onion. Fry until they turn golden brown.
4. Add marinated chicken and fry well for 5 to 8 minutes. Lower the flame and cover. Let the chicken cook until it turns soft and tender.
5. Check the chicken is cooked completely and evaporate the excess moisture left. Add some yogurt, salt (if needed), coriander leaves, or chopped mint leaves. Chicken is ready.
6. Prepare rice in a different bowl with enough water, salt, lemon juice, and few drops of oil to make rice fluffy and white.
7. Now layer chicken properly and start layering with parboiled rice, saffron milk, ghee, and fried onions.
8. Finally cover the pot and cook biryani for at least 15 minutes on low flame.
9.After 15 minutes turn the flame off and let the pot covered for another 15 minutes so that the aroma gets mix well. Chicken biryani is ready to serve.
Points To Remember
Always include top-quality ingredients in the recipe of chicken biryani.
Soak the rice for 30 minutes and boil rice with whole spices, lemon juice, and few drops of oil to avoid stickiness.
Never cook rice much longer. Rice should be parboiled (80 percent).
Never fry chopped onions on high flame as it could burn and will taste bitter.
Biryani after layering should be cooked always on low flame and after that let it remain covered for some more time.
Nutritional Facts Of Indian Chicken Biryani
200 g of biryani has approximately 290 calories. Its other nutrition facts are as per below.
Suggested Workout to Burn the Calories
This 290 Calorie is not a big issue if you are on a healthy diet already. A normal breakfast is considered as 300 Calories generally. Still, you can burn these excess 290 Calories by following the exercises easily.
· Running for 30 minutes
· Cycling for 40 minutes
This is the recipe for chicken biryani and is ready to serve. One can serve this delicacy with chilled Rayta which is prepared with yogurt, sliced cucumber, a dash of salt, and sugar if needed, garnished with mint leaves or coriander leaves. White fluffy rice with well-cooked chicken in exotic spices is always a favorite Mughal cuisine loved by people across the world.